Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cooking With Cricut Challenge: Sketch & Pick 3

Happy Wednesday!  And you know if it's Wednesday . . . it's challenge day at Cooking With Cricut!  This week our hostesses with the mostesses are my teammates, Charlotte and Larelyn.  And boy oh boy, did they come up with a good one!  Not only do you need to use a sketch as a guideline for your project and a Cricut cut, but you must use three of the following items on your project:
  1. Ribbon
  2. Brads or eyelets
  3. Glitter or Stickles
  4. Ink or chalk
  5. Border Punch
  6. Flowers
Here is what our sketch looks like:
from the January 2012 issue of Cardmaker magazine

 
And here is what I came up with:

 

 
I used the Cricut Cake Basics cartridge and the PaperCraftingWorld.com cutting file -- Celebrate Sophisticate.  This is a beautiful set Melin has created!  It has a title, frame (above), cake with stand (above), wrapped gift, and a double flourish (part of which is above).

Here's the recipe:
  • Cake Basics "Celebrate" cut at approx. 4" wide from plain black card stock.
  • PCW cutting file - oval frame cut at 4" tall -- mat from patterned paper (manufacturer unknown) and frame from plain black card stock.
  • PCW cutting file - flourish cut from plain black card stock at 11" wide and snipped to fit card.
  • PCW cutting file - cake cut at approx. 2 3/4" tall from white and ivory card stock, cake stand cut from vellum. 
  • Card is 10" x 7" and folded in half from black card stock.
  • The mat is cut at 4 1/2" by 6 1/2" and is from a K & Co. 12 x 12 paper pad called Black & Ivory Fusion.
  • Modern Romance, 3 mm iridescent pearls used for cake decoration.
  • 5/8" wide Offray Ribbon - Garbo Willow.
  • Clear adhesive rhinestones by Recollections.

Did I fulfill the requirements of the challenge?  Let's see . . .
  1. Use the sketch -- CHECK!
  2. Use a Cricut cut -- CHECK!
  3. Use three embellishments on the list -- hmm . . . kind of!  I used ribbon - CHECK!  Use glitter or stickles -- I used rhinestones for my glitter element -- CHECK!  Use a border punch -- don't own any so I used the flourish as my "border" -- CHECK!
  4. And I went one step further and added dry embossing to my cake layers.
I made this card for my Mom's birthday, which was last Friday.  I'm not allowed to say how old she is -- but I will tell you that it ended in a zero and that she doesn't look anywhere near as old as she is!  Mom loved the card -- I knew she would, I used all her favorite colors -- she called it a little work of heART.

Now, it's your turn!  Give this fun challenge a try and link up your project at CookingWithCricut.com.  You could be our next Top Chef!

Thanks for stopping by!  Make sure you head over to CookingWithCricut.com and check out what the rest of the Design Team created.

~ Jen
 

 

3 comments:

Scrappin Rabbit Designs said...

Beautiful card Jen! I'm always amazed by my crafty friends that can take a sketch and make such wonderful cards. TFS.

Tami
scrappinrabbitdesigns.blogspot.com

stop by and enter my give-away if you get a chance.

Unknown said...

Love your take on the sketch! That cake is perfect! Great job Jen!

Michelle said...

Jen this is just beautiful girl!!! I LOVE the classy elegant look you got going on!!!


Hugs,
Michelle