Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Cooking With Cricut Challenge: Bling It On!

Happy Wednesday!  First things first . . . thank you all for hopping with me this weekend during Cooking With Cricut's Two Day Home Decor Blog Hop.  I am so appreciative of all the wonderful comments that were left about my two projects.  (Stay tuned for blog candy winners later in this post.)

Today is challenge day at Cooking With Cricut and our theme for this week is "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend!"  If it sparkles you'll find it in today's post!  It was a chilly and rainy weekend here in North Central Florida -- perfect crafting weather!  I made a bunch of cards and three of them are in today's post. 

The first card I made was for one of my 8 year old daughter's best friends, Emma.  She is celebrating her 6th birthday and she loves Hello Kitty.  So this shaped card was perfect for Miss Emma.


Here's the recipe:

  • Cricut Hello Kitty Greetings cartridge - Shaped card cut at 7" tall by 4 3/4" wide.
  • Yellow and Red Stickles
  • Self-adhesive rhinestones
  • White card stock; all other papers from my scraps stash.
  • Inside greeting was rubber stamped - Stamp Craft "Happy Birthday." 

The next card is for a beautiful 6 year old named Emily who is battling leukemia.  Emily is this month's "I Feel the Love" recipient.  My fellow Design Team member, Madison at Funky Cards, created this awesome outreach program to bring a little bit of joy to people of all ages who are going through a rough time.  Each month she chooses a different person and crafters from all over the world make cards and send them to Madison.  Madison collects them all and either delivers them personally or assembles the package of "love" to be mailed.  This is the 5" x 7" card I made for Miss Emily . . .


And here is the recipe:
  • Cricut Cindy Loo cartridge - "Hello" cut from white card stock at 4 1/2" wide
  • Cricut Cake Basics cartridge - Frame 2 (pg. 33) cut at 4 1/2" wide by 6 1/2" tall.  I cut this twice - once from Bazzill's Classic Purple card stock and then again from a lime green in the DCWV Cherry Limeade stack.
  • Cricut Create-A-Critter cartridge - Hippo cut at 4 3/4" high (all papers from my scraps stash).
  • The card base is also from the DCWV Cherry Limeade stack.
  • The inside says:  "Hip, Hippo, Hooray!  I hope you're feeling better today!"
  • My bling is the Hippo's glittery purple and the self-adhesive rhinestones.
My last card is for 13 year old Patty who is battling neurobastoma cancer.  Patty's mother is the friend of my CWC Design Team member, Kemma Allen.  I found this wonderful poem by Emily Dickinson and knew that I wanted to use the first stanza in Patty's card along with this beautiful cutting file by Melin at PaperCraftingWorld.com.   The first stanza of the poem reads:  ""Hope" is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops -- at all . . ."


Here's the recipe:
  • PaperCraftingWorld.com cutting file -- Birdcage Swirls and Flowers.  The small swirl was cut at 4 3/4" wide and the large was cut at 6" wide, both from Bazzill's Iced Coffee card stock.  The flowers range in size from 1" to 2 3/8" and were cut from scraps.  The cage was cut from white card stock at 4" high -- I cut two of them and pop-dotted one on top of the other with the bird sandwiched inside.  The bird was also cut from scraps at 2 1/4" high.
  • Cricut Cindy Loo cartridge - "Peace" cut at 2 3/4" wide from paper scraps.
  • Cricut Cake Basics cartridge - leaves cut at 3/4" wide from paper scraps.
  • I inked the edges of the flowers and the bird with rubber stamp inks and the leaves were edged with chalk.
  • The card base is white card stock and the mat a piece of paper from a K & Co. kit.  The card measures 8 1/2" by 5 1/2".
  • The flower centers are rhinestone brads and the other bling is self-adhesive rhinestones -- both purchased at Michael's.
Now it's your turn!  Link up your "blinged-up" project at Cooking With Cricut and you could be our next Top Chef!

And now it's time for blog candy!  In the midst of moving and all that goes with it, I totally forgot to choose my winner from our last blog hop -- so the winner of the February 11th "Love Song" Blog Hop is lucky number . . .


Who said . . .
Congratulations, Patty!  I'll be e-mailing you for your snail mail address!


And the winner from this weekend's Home Decor Blog Hop is lucky number . . .


Who said . . .
Congrats!  I will also be e-mailing you for your snail mail address!

Thanks so much for stopping by today and checking out my blinged up cards.  Pop on over to Cooking With Cricut and check out all the sparkly goodness the Design Team whipped up!

~ Jen

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I LOVE these cards. I am SO partial to Hello Kitty...LOVE the images (secretly coveting the carts) the two cards for the girls battling cancer are SO beautiful! They will be sure to put a smile on their face and encourage them!!

Hugs,
Michelle

Migdalia said...

Beautiful cards!!!TFS
http://craftingwithcreativem.blogspot.com

Charlotte said...

Jen, these are both adorable. But I am partial to the little birdcage card. It is absolutely beautiful!!!
Charlotte

Cricut Critter said...

wow those are some wonderful cards... love the birdcage, i might just have to scrap lift that one!

kimmiluxich said...

Jen, I love this card! It's so sweet and full of life! The colors you have chosen work very well together, and the cut files you have chosen are AWESOME!

Kimmi

PS. Congrats to the winners!!!

Madison said...

Jen, wonderful projects! The card for Emily ROCKS like you!! I love the design. So creative to put a frame like that behind the hippo. It looks amazing! You are the best. Thanks for the support.
~Madison Funkycards.blogspot.com

Suzanne cricutcraftingrammyblogspot.com said...

Beautiful cards. Love Hello Kitty and the card is very sweet. The title on the hippo card is awesome and the birdcage and flowers are gorgeous.